Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Referral: WINGS Program, Safe House - Lobby Volunteer
- Ensure the safety of the Safe House by allowing only appropriate people to enter the Safe House. Lobby volunteer utilizes the intercom and camera system to confirm the identity of Safe House clients, staff, other volunteers, and service providers who come to the Safe House door.
- Interact with clients as they come in and out of the shelter and as they come to the Safe House lobby to ask questions about Safe House policies and operations.
- Assist clients with basic daily living skills, including: signing in/out from the Safe House, providing directions to community locations, assisting with public transportation-looking up train/bus schedules, providing needed items such as toiletries/linens/bedding from Safe House inventory, giving laundry detergent as needed.
- Explain the basic Safe House policies and procedures to clients, including: staff schedules, babysitting rules, curfew, overnight policy, mail process, chore assignments.
- Other duties are assigned to Lobby volunteers based on volunteer interest and current shelter need (Examples include: minor administrative tasks-filing/making copies/faxing documents, organizing/sorting donations, researching community resources).
This might be a good fit for you if:
- You enjoy helping people find a way out of difficult situations.
- You are looking for a volunteer opportunity that provides direct service to our clients.
- You are a good listener and able to give empathy and options without giving advice.
- You are able to stay calm, even when others become upset or emotional.
- You are committed to providing a safe, non-judging environment where you are willing to support people in their choices, even choices you may not agree with (example: a woman choosing to return to her abuser.)
Volunteer with help support our mission of ending Domestic Violence
When & Where
Sunday - Monday, mornings & afternoons. Located close to the midway airport area.
- Committed Volunteers (people who can come on a regular basis)
The mission of WINGS Program, Inc. is to provide housing, integrated services, education and advocacy to end domestic violence. At WINGS they believe that everyone has the potential and strength to overcome difficult life circumstances and to accomplish goals that will lead to an enhanced quality of life. WINGS is committed to treating each woman and child in a respectful and compassionate manner while valuing the unique qualities and needs of each family.
Requirements volunteers must complete to serve
- Training Meeting >2 hours
- Background Check
- Other - Need to complete a 40 hour Domestic Violence training
***This is a Referral Opportunity through Chicago Cares. Chicago cares does not manage the volunteer experience for these projects and volunteers are subject to each partner organization's volunteer protocol. Chicago Cares is not liable for injuries, loss, or damage at referral projects. No Chicago Cares staff will follow up with you about the logistics for this program, however, a staff person from the managing organization will be responsible for doing so.***
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: