Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Community Space Beautification at Kilbourn Park Organic Greenhouse
Our parks improve our physical and mental health and help strengthen our communities and our city. Despite the importance of having access to green space and the outdoors during the COVID-19 pandemic, park budgets have been stretched thin over the past few months, leading to fewer seasonal employees.
By volunteering at the Kilbourn Park Greenhouse, you’re helping support the park system’s ongoing maintenance and ensuring that our parks will stay beautiful and safe for everyone to enjoy. This facility holds the Chicago Park District’s only teaching greenhouse and advances environmental stewardship by connecting people to nature, teaching sustainable gardening practices, promoting healthy food options to people of all ages, and providing space for Chicagoans to safely physical distance.
Volunteers at this project will support the staff of the greenhouse with whatever they need to maintain the grounds (weeding, garden prep, etc.), therein also sustaining the quality of its programs. All tools, gloves, supplies and training are provided by the Kilbourn Park Organic Greenhouse. This project is rain or shine and mostly indoor work, but volunteers may be outdoors at any time of the year. Volunteers should dress for the weather and wear closed toed shoes.
COVID-19 Alert: A mask or face covering over your nose and mouth is required for all volunteers for the duration of your volunteer activity. We recommend you bring your own, but gloves and extra masks will also be available at your project. Anyone who does not comply with this requirement will be asked to leave the project immediately. Volunteers will also be following physical distancing guidelines as recommended by the CDC.
DO NOT attempt to volunteer if in the last 14 days you or any members of your household:
• Have any of the symptoms related to COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control. Common symptoms include cough, fever, difficulty breathing, chills, headache, new loss of taste/smell. Please review a more complete list of symptoms here
• Have been exposed to COVID-19 or diagnosed and are not yet cleared by your physician
• Traveled to any states listed in the City of Chicago's Emergency Travel order requiring a 14-day quarantine. Complete list of states that fall under this order here.
• Traveled outside of the United States
• Been on a cruise ship or been in an airport
• Been to an event with more than 50 people
Chicago Cares is committed to responsible volunteerism. We are taking these measures to limit any potential exposure for all individuals participating in our activities.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: