Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Bike Marshal for Roll N Peace 6: All in Phavor
At Chicago Cares, we believe volunteering should be the start of a journey toward equity in our city. Through this program, volunteers will connect with Chicagoans through service and collaborate with community-led organizations to promote health and wellness in the Englewood community.
Join Chicago Cares in partnership with Think Outside Da Block’s Roll N Peace 6: All In Phavor, a community-led event that uses cycling as the plan of action to address the public safety and mental health and wellness of the Englewood community. Roll N Peace decreases violence through community presence, increases physical fitness with exercise and mobility, and improves emotional, psychological, and social well-being through intentional community engagement. Over the past 5 engagements, Roll N Peace has grown its base to include over 2,000 registered participants, and now you have an opportunity to get involved! Through hands-on service, volunteers will learn about the assets and challenges facing the Englewood community, develop a better understanding of community-led action, and support Englewood’s Quality of Life priorities.
Project Details Volunteers will serve as bike marshals for the event. You will need to ride a bike for the entirety of the route. If you don't have a bike but want to serve as a bike marshal, there will be divvy bikes available. There are three different types of bike marshals needed for this event: corkers, sweepers, and supporting gear.
• Corkers: Responsible for blocking intersections. You ride in the front so that as the group approaches intersections, you block traffic so riders can pass.
• Sweepers: Make sure that no one goes outside of the designated areas. You ride along the left side of the riders so they don’t deviate from the route. You are also responsible for making sure the group doesn't get split up.
• Supporting Gear: This is a great role for those with minor mechanical abilities.You ride at the end of the route so you can catch any stragglers, and you help do minor repairs on bikes during the event.
This project offers a chance for volunteers and community members to connect with each other, share stories, and build trust and empathy. A week prior to the event, there will be a 2-3 hour training, as well as a requirement to ride the route before the event.
COVID-19 Alert: This is an outdoor community event that is open to the public. A mask or face covering over your nose and mouth is required for all volunteers for the duration of your volunteer activity. We recommend you bring your own, but gloves and extra masks will also be available at your project. Anyone who does not comply with this requirement will be asked to leave the project immediately. Volunteers will also be following physical distancing guidelines as recommended by the CDC.
DO NOT attempt to volunteer if in the last 14 days you or any members of your household:
• Have any of the symptoms related to COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control. Common symptoms include cough, fever, difficulty breathing, chills, headache, new loss of taste/smell. Please review a more complete list of symptoms here
• Have been exposed to COVID-19 or diagnosed and are not yet cleared by your physician
• Traveled to any states listed in the City of Chicago's Emergency Travel order requiring a 14-day quarantine. Complete list of states that fall under this order here.
• Traveled outside of the United States
• Been on a cruise ship or been in an airport
• Been to an event with more than 50 people
Chicago Cares is committed to responsible volunteerism. We are taking these measures to limit any potential exposure for all individuals participating in our activities.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: