Age Minimum (with Adult): 21+, Minimum Age:21+
Referral: Horizons For Youth
- Big Siblings/Mentors: Change a life, twice a month. Attend monthly enrichment outings (Saturday mornings) with your little and coordinate a one-on-one time each month. Be a friend and a mentor to a K-12 student.
- Tutors: Work with one of their students (K-12) once a week for an hour. Almost all tutoring happens at their West Loop location in their tutoring center. Help a student in need in reading and/or math!
Time Ongoing-Joining their organization as a Big Sibling/Mentor and/or as a tutor is a longer-term commitment. You’d work one-on-one with the same student anywhere between a few weeks (e.g., shorter tutoring needs like studying for the SAT) and years (e.g., being a child’s big sibling for years and helping them grow up).
Volunteer Activity Type Mentoring/Youth Development
- Individuals (people who come on their own)
- Committed Volunteers (people who come on a regular basis)
- Young Professionals (21-35) that live and work in the Chicagoland area.
If you are interested in applying for this volunteer opportunity, please follow this link to fill out a volunteer profile form so Horizons for Youth can capture details about you and your volunteer interests, as well as schedule an in-person interview: http://tinyurl.com/HorizonsVolunteer
Partner Information Only 9% of children from low-income families will earn a college degree, but among Horizons for Youth program participants, the rate is 86%. They work with the same profile of kids, from the same neighborhoods, facing the same socioeconomic challenges, with the same array of learning abilities. And yet, Horizons for Youth students achieve a nearly 10-fold increase in college persistence.
Requirements for Service
- Interview Process
- Background Check (FBI Fingerprint check and online SSN/name-based check)
- Training Meeting < 2 hours
***This is a Referral Opportunity through Chicago Cares. Chicago cares does not manage the volunteer experience for these projects and volunteers are subject to each partner organization's volunteer protocol. Chicago Cares is not liable for injuries, loss, or damage at referral projects. No Chicago Cares staff will follow up with you about the logistics for this program, however, a staff person from the managing organization will be responsible for doing so.***
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: