Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:18+
Referral: Tutoring Chicago
- Volunteers are matched one-to-one with a student in 1st-6th grade and meet with that same student once a week during the school year on Mon, Tues, OR Wed from 6:00-7:30pm.
- To begin, volunteers just need to complete a brief application, background check, and attend a 90-minute orientation.
- Typical tutoring sessions include homework review and skill-building activities in literacy, math, technology, and other key subject areas.
- Tutoring Chicago provides a wide variety of resources and materials and staff are on-hand to assist with questions.
Tutoring Chicago's dedicated volunteers are essential to the success of our programs. As a one-to-one volunteer tutor, you can make a significant impact on the academic and personal success of a student. Research shows that children who have a consistent, supportive adult tutor/mentor are much more likely to succeed in high school and college and develop pro-social behaviors.
Volunteer Activity Type
- Individuals (people who come on their own)
- Groups (volunteers who come in a group)
- New Volunteers (people who have never volunteered before)
- Committed Volunteers (people who can come on a regular basis)
- Skilled Volunteers (pro bono work, volunteers with a specific skill set, etc.)
- Older Volunteers (volunteers aged 55 and older)
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Evenings from 6 - 7:30PM
- St. Vincent de Paul Center (Lincoln Park)
- Goethe Elementary School (Logan Square)
- Hope Institute Learning Academy (Near West Side)
- Kozminski Community Academy (Hyde Park)
Requirements for Service
- Training Meeting <2 hours
- Background check
***Please note Chicago Cares does not manage the following volunteer projects. Chicago Cares is not liable for injuries, loss, or damage at referral projects. No Chicago Cares staff will be present or coordinate logistics for these events. Chicago Cares is also not able to verify volunteer hours spent at referral projects. Please request verification directly from the referral partner. ***
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: