Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Referral: WINGS Program, Safe House - Kid Groups
- At the Safe House, there are weekly groups for the kids in the evenings. The evenings have different themes. For example; one night could be game night, one night could be focused around the theme of cooperation.
- A staff member will plan the activities. Volunteers participate in the activities to provide the children with more individual attention. Because the age ranges of the kids vary widely, often a smaller group is formed to adapt to the activity to the age group. However, ratios sometimes vary due to the unpredictable nature of families in this situation.
- This is a great opportunity for people who enjoy very young children. Often there are enough babies and toddlers to designate a “nursery” where the volunteer assistant will comfort and cuddle the littlest ones, or read books and play with toddlers.
This might be a good fit for you if:
- You enjoy being with children of all ages.
- You are fun-loving and enjoy participating in games and crafts.
- You are flexible and able to respond to changing situations.
- You have strong personal boundaries and are able to demonstrate those to children.
- You are interested in being a role model and teacher to the children in the areas of social skills, conflict resolution and respecting boundaries.
- You feel good when you are helping others.
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
- You are non-judgmental about why families are in a situation where they are in need of help.
Volunteer with help support our mission of ending Domestic Violence
When & Where
Tuesday & Thursday Evenings, 6pm-8pm. Located close to the midway airport area.
- Committed Volunteers (people who can come on a regular basis)
The mission of WINGS Program, Inc. is to provide housing, integrated services, education and advocacy to end domestic violence. At WINGS they believe that everyone has the potential and strength to overcome difficult life circumstances and to accomplish goals that will lead to an enhanced quality of life. WINGS is committed to treating each woman and child in a respectful and compassionate manner while valuing the unique qualities and needs of each family.
Requirements volunteers must complete to serve
- Training Meeting >2 hours
- Background Check
- Other - Need to complete a 40 hour Domestic Violence training
***This is a Referral Opportunity through Chicago Cares. Chicago cares does not manage the volunteer experience for these projects and volunteers are subject to each partner organization's volunteer protocol. Chicago Cares is not liable for injuries, loss, or damage at referral projects. No Chicago Cares staff will follow up with you about the logistics for this program, however, a staff person from the managing organization will be responsible for doing so.***
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: